[Python-Dev] Python Language Summit at PyCon: Agenda

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Mar 5 01:16:27 CET 2013

On 3/4/2013 5:24 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> What I'm looking for is something that automated tools can use to easily
> discover how to run a package's tests.  I want it to be dead simple for
> developers of a package to declare how their tests are to be run, and what

I am writing a package that has tests for each module (which I so far
run individually for each module) using a custom test framework. I am
planning to add a function to the package to run all of them. Should I
call it 'testall', 'test_all', 'runtests', or something else? I really
do not care. It would be used like this.
   import xxx; xxx.testall()
Of course, this would not work with the stdlib since /lib is not a
package that can be imported. I could put the same code in the top level
of a module, to be run when imported (but that would not work with
re-imports), or put the function in my test module. I am willing to
adjust to a standard when there is one.

What I do suggest is that package developers should only have to provide
one standard entry point that hides all package-specific details. I
presume the side-effect spec would be error messages to sdterr. Any
return requirements should be a simple as possible, as in all pass
True/False, or (number run, number fail) by whatever counting method the
package/test framework uses. (Note: my framework does not count tests,
as I only care about failure messages, but testall could count modules
tested and those with a failure.)

> extra dependencies they might need.  It seems like PEP 426 only addresses the
> latter.  Maybe that's fine and a different PEP is needed to describe automated
> test discover, but I still think it's an important use case.

New PEP.

--
Terry Jan Reedy