[Python-Dev] built-in Python test runner (was: Python Language Summit at PyCon: Agenda)

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Mar 5 01:09:39 CET 2013

On 5 March 2013 12:49, Eli Bendersky <eliben at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 2:14 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 05, 2013, at 11:01 AM, Robert Collins wrote:
>>
>> >The big thing is automated tools, not developers.
>>
>> Exactly.
>
> I don't understand. Is "python -m unittest discover" too much typing for
> automatic tools? If anything, it's much more portable across Python versions
> since any new coommand/script won't be added before 3.4, while the longer
> version works in 2.7 and 3.2+

It isn't about length. It is about knowing that *that* is what to type
(and btw that exact command cannot run twisted's tests, among many
other projects tests).

Perhaps we are talking about different things. A top level script to
run tests is interesting, but orthogonal to the thing Barry was asking
for.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>