[Python-Dev] Introducing Electronic Contributor Agreements

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Mar 4 21:46:48 CET 2013

On 3/4/2013 11:36 AM, Brett Cannon wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 11:30 AM, Brian Curtin <brian at python.org
> <mailto:brian at python.org>> wrote:
>
>     The full announcement is at
>     http://blog.python.org/2013/03/introducing-electronic-contributor.html,
>     but a summary follows.
>
>     We've now moved to an electronic Contributor License Agreement form at
>     http://www.python.org/psf/contrib/contrib-form/ which will hopefully
>     ease the signing and sending of forms for our potential contributors.
>     The form shows the required fields whether you're signing as an
>     individual or a representative of an organization, and removes the
>     need to print, scan, fax, etc.
>
>     When a new contributor fills in the form, they are emailed a copy of
>     the form and asked to confirm the email address that they used (and
>     received that copy at). Upon confirming, the signed form is sent to
>     the PSF Administrator and filed away.
>
>     The signature can either be generated from your typed name, or you can
>     draw or upload your actual written signature if you choose.
>

> With this in place I would like to propose that all patches submitted to
> bugs.python.org <http://bugs.python.org> must come from someone who has
> signed the CLA before we consider committing it (if you want to be truly
> paranoid we could say that we won't even look at the code w/o a CLA).

Either policy could be facilitated by tracker changes. In order to see
the file upload box, one must login and the tracker knows who has a CLA
on file (as indicated by a * suffix on the name). If a file is uploaded
by someone without, a box could popup with the link to the e-form and a
message that a CLA is required.

--
Terry Jan Reedy