[Python-Dev] Planning on removing cache invalidation for file finders

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sun Mar 3 18:12:27 CET 2013

On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 6:29 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Mar 2013 18:38:15 -0500
> Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > You can deprecate the heuristic if you want (and can figure out how),
> > > but a definite -1 on removing it without at least the usual
> > > deprecation period for backwards incompatible changes.
> > >

> > That part is easy: ImportWarning still exists so simply continuing to
> check
> > the directory and noticing when a difference exists that affects
> subsequent
> > imports and then raising the warning will handle that.
>
> Won't that raise spurious ImportWarnings for people who don't actually
> care about that?

It shouldn't. If the implementation I have in my head works (set of
original files, another set of what mtime says is there to know what would
not have been found w/o the cache invalidation), then it will only come up
when someone would break in Python 3.5 if the cache invalidation is
removed. Plus warnings are off by default as it is.