[Python-Dev] Python Language Summit at PyCon: Agenda

Stefan Krah stefan at bytereef.org
Sat Mar 2 21:01:15 CET 2013

Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
> >> I'm not so happy with the argument clinic, but that's certainly also
> >> because I'm biased. I've written the argument unpacking code for Cython
> >> some years ago, so it's not surprising that I'm quite happy with that and
> >> fail to see the need for a totally new DSL *and* a totally new
> >> implementation, especially with its mapping to the slowish ParseTuple*()
> >> C-API functions. I've also not seen a good argument why the existing Py3
> >> function signatures can't do what the proposed DSL tries to achieve. They'd
> >> at least make it clear that the intention is to make things more
> >> Python-like, and would at the same time provide the documentation.
> >
> > That's why Stefan Krah is writing a competing PEP - a number of us
> > already agree with you, and think the case needs to be made for
> > choosing something completely different like Argument Clinic
>
> I'll happily provide my feedback to that approach. It might also have a
> positive impact on the usage of Py3 argument annotations, which I think
> merit some more visibility and "useful use cases".

BTW, I think so far no one has stepped forward to implement the custom
argument handlers. I've looked at Cython output and, as you say, most of
it is there already.

Is it possible to write a minimal version of the code generator that just
produces the argument handling code?

Approximately, how many lines of code would we be talking about?

Stefan Krah