[Python-Dev] stat module in C -- what to do with stat.py?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 17:29:40 CEST 2013

On 21 June 2013 21:45, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> Le Fri, 21 Jun 2013 21:39:10 +1000,
> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> a écrit :
>> What's not OK is for
>> the standard library to regress for other implementations just because
>> we added a C implementation for the benefit of CPython. That's exactly
>> the kind of thing PEP 399 says we *won't* do.
>
> For me, PEP 399 should not be considered a requirement but a guideline.
> stat.py is algorithmically trivial and I don't think it saves much work
> for authors of third-party Python implementations.

So why not just replace the *broken* parts of stat.py and keep the
rest of it? Why make pointless work for the other implementations?

Basically, I want to hear from the Jython, PyPy and IronPython devs
that they're OK with us deleting Lib/stat.py. Hearing other CPython
devs say they're fine with it doesn't mean anything, since we're not
the ones that will have to do additional work as a result.

Cheers,
Nick.