[Python-Dev] backported Enum

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Sun Jun 16 08:53:16 CEST 2013

On 06/15/2013 10:52 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
> Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> writes:
>> On Jun 15, 2013, at 10:45 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there anything I can do to keep the ‘enum’ package online for
>>> continuity but make it clear, to automated tools, that this is
>>> end-of-life and obsoleted by another package?
>>
>> Right now the best you can do is make a note of it. Pep 426 let's you
>> do what you want.
>
> Thanks. What specifically in PEP 426 do you mean; how would I make a
> note of “this package is end-of-life as is, please migrate to
> ‘flufl.enum’ instead” using PEP 426 metadata?

Note that while flufl.enum was the inspiration, it is not the version that went into 3.4.

Differences include:

   Enum does not allow subclassing when members have been defined

   int(Enum.member) is an error

Similarities include:

   different Enum enumerations do not compare to each other

   members in an Enum enumeration are not ordered

There may be (and probably are) other differences from flufl.enum, but it's late and I'm not remembering them.

So to cut a long story short, your note should say: "migrate to enum34 instead."

Oh, and I'm still learning the intricacies of distutils -- you should be able to ignore any errors if you try to install
using `easy_install enum34`; I'll hopefully get those kinks worked out in the next few days.

--
~Ethan~