[Python-Dev] Obsoleted RFCs

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Sat Jun 8 16:47:18 CEST 2013

On Sat, 08 Jun 2013 12:51:23 +0300, Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka at gmail.com> wrote:
> 08.06.13 11:42, M.-A. Lemburg написав(ла):
> > On 08.06.2013 09:45, Serhiy Storchaka wrote:
> >> Here is attached a list of obsoleted RFCs referred in the *.rst, *.txt, *.py, *.c and *.h files. I
> >> think it would be worthwhile to update the source code and documentation for more modern RFCs.
> >
> > Given that more recent RFCs tend to introduce new functionality and
> > sometimes backwards incompatible changes, I think each RFC update would
> > need to be handled in a separate ticket.
> >
> > Some updates could probably be done in one go, e.g. RFC 821 -> 2821 ->
> > 5321
>
> Of course. This list is only a start point.

We've already done some (most?) of the work for the smtplib update.
A thorough review is needed to make sure there aren't any leftovers
and to update any comments and docs that haven't been fixed yet.

For the email package, the support for RFC 5322 is mostly done, in
the new policies.  The legacy policies will continue to only support
the older RFCs formally, though in many cases the code is also
conformant with the newer RFCs because the relevant details have
not changed.

--David