[Python-Dev] Putting the Mac Build in the Apple App Store

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Tue Jun 4 10:19:36 CEST 2013

In article <770E1B33-4174-4880-9DA1-4E15E1818808 at gmail.com>,
 Raymond Hettinger <raymond.hettinger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know what we would need to do to get Python in the Apple
> application store as a free App?
>
> The default security settings on OS X 10.8 block the installation of the DMG
> (or any software downloaded outside the app store).   A number of my students
> are having difficulty getting around it will help.

The ReadMe file included in the current Python OS X installer DMGs
explains exactly how to get around the problem:

"If you are attempting to install on an OS X 10.8 system, you may
see a message that Python can't be installed because it is from an
unidentified developer.  This is because this Python installer
package is not yet compatible with the Gatekeeper security feature
introduced in OS X 10.8.  To allow Python to be installed, you
can override the Gatekeeper policy for this install.  In the Finder,
instead of double-clicking, control-click or right click the "Python"
installer package icon.  Then select "Open using ... Installer" from
the contextual menu that appears."

There are a number of other installers that haven't been updated yet for
Gatekeeper, including the currant ActiveState Tcl installers.  The same
technique works for all of them.  This is basic knowledge needed to use
OS X 10.8.  Even so, the Python installer will get updated.

> If we were in the app store, installation and upgrade would be a piece of
> cake.

Sorry but, under the current Apple app store rules, Python would never
be accepted.  Among other things, it would need to be "sandboxed"
meaning it could only use a very limited set of OS APIs and would have
very limited access to the user's file system.  Such a Python would not
be very usable.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org