[Python-Dev] Inherance of file descriptor and handles on Windows (PEP 446)

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 19:56:10 CEST 2013

2013/7/27 Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org>:
> P.S. perhaps more important than a PEP rewrite is a working patch to see how
> realistic this is. Could you make the alpha 1 release?

I already ran the whole Python test suite with non-inheritable file
descriptors when I developed the PEP 433: it just works. So I'm
confident :-)

I "just" had to fix the cgi module, and some tests. For example,
test_socket checks the exact type of sockets, whereas SOCK_CLOEXEC
flag is present in sockobj.type for non-inheritable sockets created
with this flag.

I implemented the *new* PEP 446 (not written yet :-)) in a new repository:
http://hg.python.org/features/pep-446

I had to invert the value of cloexec (inheritable value is just the opposite).

The implementation works but it is not completed:

* The doc should be reviewed
* test_swap_fds() of test_subprocess fails
* The implementation should be tested on Windows, FreeBSD and Solaris
* I have to check if _Py_try_set_inheritable() can/must be replaced
with _Py_set_inheritable()

The implementation can be seen as a patch and reviewed using the
following new issue:
http://bugs.python.org/issue18571

Victor