[Python-Dev] Python 3 as a Default in Linux Distros

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 17:56:08 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 3:54 PM, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:12 AM, Bohuslav Kabrda <bkabrda at redhat.com> wrote:
>> - Should we point /usr/bin/python to Python 3 when we make the move?
>
> No.

To be more explicit. I think it's perfectly fine to not provide a
/usr/bin/python at all, but I think pointing it to Python 3 will
provide unhelpful error messages. Also having a /usr/bin/python that
does nothing but say "You should use either /usr/bin/python2 or
/usr/bin/python3" would work.

But pointing it to Python 3 will make for unhelpful and confusing
error messages for anyone having Python scripts using /usr/bin/python,
which is the majority of people having python scripts at all.

//Lennart