[Python-Dev] Dash

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Jul 19 21:26:30 CEST 2013

Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka at gmail.com> writes:

> 19.07.13 10:25, Ben Finney написав(ла):
> > Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka at gmail.com> writes:
> >> What type of dash is preferable in the documentation? The en dash
> >> (–) or the em dash (—)?
> >
> > They have different purposes; use whichever is appropriate for the
> > context.
>
> I mean only a context where a dash is used to denote a break in a
> sentence or to set off parenthetical statements.

Yes, and both of those are used for different purposes, so “what type is
preferable (for all the purposes you mention)” is a poor way of looking
at it, IMO.

Local style guides have rules about when and how to use the different
dashes for specific contexts.

(For myself, I prefer parenthetic dashes to be en dashes ‘–’, and a
break in a sentence to be marked by an em dash ‘—’. But I also prefer to
surround the dash with space for the latter purpose, so my preference
isn't universal.)

Wikipedia's article (already referred) discusses the matter fairly well
<URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dashes>.

> Currently Python documentation uses four different variants (see my
> answer to Ezio).

I'd recommend that the Python documentation BDFL should choose and
dictate an existing well-groomed style guide for Python documentation,
preferably one which explicitly talks about when to use each of the
commonly-used dashes.

--
 \        “If you have the facts on your side, pound the facts. If you |
  `\     have the law on your side, pound the law. If you have neither |