[Python-Dev] Tweaking PEP 8 guidelines for use of leading underscores

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Jul 16 17:19:17 CEST 2013

On Jul 16, 2013, at 11:28 AM, Richard Oudkerk wrote:

>BTW, how does the use of __all__ effect things?  Somewhere I got the idea
>that if a module uses __all__ then anything not listed is internal.  I take
>it that is wrong?

Purely technically, __all__ is there to affect how from-import-* works.  I
personally think it's a good idea to include all your public names, and none
of your non-public names, in __all__, but it's not always easy to keep
up-to-date.  pyflakes has the nice benefit of complaining when something is
named in __all__ that doesn't exist in the module, but that's only one part of
the keeping-things-up-to-date problem.

-Barry