[Python-Dev] Accepting PEP 445

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 16:49:20 CEST 2013

2013/7/6 Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>:
> I'm accepting PEP 445 (A C API to customize memory allocators) by
> Victor.  There is probably some grammar to correct here and there
> (neither Victor nor I are native English speakers), but I don't want
> this to hold back acceptance.  The PEP is an obvious improvement in
> flexibility for everyone embedding Python in some external application,
> or even recompiling their own Python runtime for specific uses.
>
> The implementation is tracked in http://bugs.python.org/issue3329

Thanks Antoine for you review :-)

I pushed the implementation of the PEP, splitted in different
changesets: new functions and then changes to use these new functions.

You can now play with the new hooks to hack your own memory debug tool
for Python 3.4! You can easily implement your own tool in Python! (if
you hook PYMEM_DOMAIN_MEM and PYMEM_DOMAIN_OBJ, but not
PYMEM_DOMAIN_RAW) I will share with you my experiment of these new
APIs.

I'm preparing a new version of pytracemalloc to adapt it to the API of
the PEP 445.
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pytracemalloc

Victor