[Python-Dev] PEP 433: second try

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 13:00:52 CET 2013

> Disable inheritance by default
> (...)
> * It violates the principle of least surprise.  Developers using the
>   os module may expect that Python respects the POSIX standard and so
>   that close-on-exec flag is not set by default.

Oh, I just saw that Perl is "violating POSIX" since Perl 1:
close-on-exec flag in set on new created file descriptors if their
number is greater than $SYSTEM_FD_MAX (which is usually 2).

So Python would not be the only language providing a convinient
default behaviour ;-) (And Ruby 2 will also set close-on-exec by
default.)

Victor