[Python-Dev] PEP 433: Choose the default value of the new cloexec parameter

Ralf Schmitt ralf at systemexit.de
Tue Jan 29 11:24:49 CET 2013

Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> writes:

> Le Tue, 29 Jan 2013 09:35:40 +0100,
> Ralf Schmitt <ralf at systemexit.de> a écrit :
>>
>> I'd rather not have to check if some library messes with that global
>> setting and work around it if it does!
>
> Then just don't try changing the flag. Problem solved.

I was talking about some library changing the flag. Not changing the
flag myself doesn't help in that case. I'll probably have to explicitly
pass a cloexec argument to each fd creating function I'm calling in
order to not be dependent on the global setting.

Please just acknowledge that having a global configurable setting may
lead to problems. Why is sys.setdefaultencoding being hidden in python
2?