[Python-Dev] Point of building without threads?

Trent Nelson trent at snakebite.org
Tue Jan 8 15:02:00 CET 2013

    [ Weird, I can't see your original e-mail Antoine; hijacking Yury's
      reply instead. ]

On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 01:28:25AM -0800, Yury V. Zaytsev wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 21:49 +0200, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> >
> > I guess a long time ago, threading support in operating systems wasn't
> > very widespread, but these days all our supported platforms have it.
> > Is it still useful for production purposes to configure
> > --without-threads? Do people use this option for something else than
> > curiosity of mind?

    All our NetBSD, OpenBSD and DragonFlyBSD slaves use --without-thread.
    Without it, they all wedge in some way or another.  (That should be
    fixed*/investigated, but, until then, yeah, --without-threads allows
    for a slightly more useful (but still broken) test suite run on
    these platforms.)

        [*]: I suspect the problem with at least OpenBSD is that their
             userland pthreads implementation just doesn't cut it; there
             is no hope for the really technical tests that poke and
             prod at things like correct signal handling and whatnot.

        Trent.