[Python-Dev] Please review simple patch for IDLE documentation last updated 11/28/2012

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Fri Jan 4 17:51:02 CET 2013

On Fri, 04 Jan 2013 10:40:10 -0500, Todd V Rovito <rovitotv at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 4, 2013, at 10:23 AM, "R. David Murray" <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 04 Jan 2013 10:04:14 -0500, Todd V Rovito <rovitotv at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>     I submitted a simple patch for updates to IDLE's documentation
> >>     http://bugs.python.org/issue5066 and it has not been reviewed by
> >>     an official Python developer.  Since it is now been over 1month
> >>     since last update can somebody please review and or commit?  I
> >>     did get some comments from another contributor and updated the
> >>     patch based on those comments.  The original bug was opened in
> >>     2009 and the IDLE documentation is out of date with undocumented
> >>     menu options and inconsistencies between the help file and the
> >>     HTML documentation.  I hate to be pushy but I would like to see
> >>     some progress made on IDLE.  Thanks for the support.
> >
> > IMO it isn't pushy to ask about an issue that seems ready but on which
> > no action has been taken for an extended period.  It could be that the
> > nosy committers have just forgotten about it.
> >
> > In the future, it best way to approach this situation (patch that seems
> > ready but no action has been taken) is to ping the issue first, and if
> > you don't get a response after a few days, to post here as you did.
>
> Good suggestion I will "ping" the bug report!  FYI....the excellent
> developer's guide http://docs.python.org/devguide/patch.html#reviewing
> states "Getting your patch reviewed requires a reviewer to have the
> spare time and motivation to look at your patch (we cannot force
> anyone to review patches). If your patch has not received any notice
> from reviewers (i.e., no comment made) after a substantial amount of
> time then you may email python-dev at python.org asking for someone to
> take a look at your patch."
>
> The Developer's guide does not mention pinging the patch maybe that is
> common sense so it doesn't need to be documented but I had assumed
> somebody was watching bugs that had patches applied but no commits.

Adding that to the developers guide sounds like a good idea.  You could
open a new issue in the tracker with that suggestion :).

No, we have no automated monitoring of anything in the bug tracker
(other than the weekly issues summary).  It is all up to whatever some
volunteer chooses to spend time doing.  If someone *did* want to take
on that role, that would be fantastic.

(To automate such monitoring we would need some sort of 'commit ready'
flag in the tracker and a protocol for when it gets set...which might
not be a bad idea, but would need to be discussed....)

--David