[Python-Dev] cffi in stdlib

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 14:24:09 CET 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 7:00 PM, Maciej Fijalkowski <fijall at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 6:53 AM, Eli Bendersky <eliben at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2. Using a function called "verify" to create stuff. This may sound like a
>> naming bikeshed, but it's not. It ties in to the question - why is this
>> needed?
>
> We welcome a better opinion of name (indeed verify is not that great).
> This elevates ABI to API so either invokes the C compiler or reads
> stuff from the cache.

Have you considered the name "create_api"? After all, you're
essentially creating a Python API given a C header declaration and a
specified extension module to cache the result.

The details on extension module caching, and the fact that it won't
even look for a C compiler if the extension module is already
available should also be in the main section of the docs on the
verification step rather than only being down in the internal
documentation for cffi.verifier.Verifier

Cheers,
Nick.

P.S. I created both of those as tracker issues:
- https://bitbucket.org/cffi/cffi/issue/59/missing-content-in-cffiverify
- https://bitbucket.org/cffi/cffi/issue/60/proposed-rename-for-verify-and-verifier