[Python-Dev] Announcing PEP 436: The Argument Clinic DSL

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Tue Feb 26 01:11:23 CET 2013

Following up on a conversation on python-dev from last December:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2012-December/122920.html

I'm pleased to announced PEP 436, proposing Argument Clinic for adoption
into the CPython source tree.

    http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0436/

Argument Clinic itself hasn't changed much in the intervening three
months; I did add a prototype extension mechanism for adding user types
at runtime, and I allow writing the generated code to a separate file.
The PEP is adopted out of the "clinic.txt" included with the prototype,
updated and with a new rationale.

For what it's worth, the bug tracker issue is here:

    http://bugs.python.org/issue16612

I'm guessing python-dev is the right place for the ten-thousand-foot
view topics: the merits of the specific proposed DSL syntax, the
possible runtime extension API, and the approach as a whole.  So for now
let's just use the bug tracker issue for code reviews and the like.

The prototype implementation is checked in here:

    https://bitbucket.org/larry/python-clinic/

as well as being posted to the above issue on the tracker in patch form.

I look forward to your comments,

//arry/