[Python-Dev] Fwd: PEP 426 is now the draft spec for distribution metadata 2.0

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 21 02:04:31 CET 2013

Chris Jerdonek <chris.jerdonek <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Maybe this is already stated somewhere, but is there a plan for when
> distlib will be brought into the repository?  Is there a reason not to
> do it now?  It seems it would have more visibility that way (e.g.
> people could see it as part of the development version of the online
> docs and it would be in check-ins as are PEP edits), and its status
> relative to Python would be clearer.

There's no firm plan other than it being on the 3.4 wishlist, but IMO there's
no rush to do it right now. AFAICT interested parties can be in the loop even
though the project is actively developed on BitBucket rather than hg.python.org:
remember that the current stakeholders in terms of packaging tools are not all
in python-dev and may find it easier to contribute on BitBucket. (I often get
comments from Daniel Holth in response to distlib commits I push to BitBucket.)
I periodically sync the BitBucket repo with hg.python.org/distlib.

The docs are also readily accessible on readthedocs.org (the first two Google
results for distlib are those docs and the project on BitBucket). While not
integrated with docs.python.org, I don't think that the distlib docs suffer
inordinately from being on readthedocs.org - for one thing, I've enabled Disqus
comments, allowing feedback on the docs - not that I've had any ;-)

Closer integration should perhaps happen, but not until the project has matured
a little.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip