[Python-Dev] cpython (2.7): - Issue #17086: Backport the patches from the 3.3 branch to cross-build

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Feb 6 14:38:21 CET 2013

Le Mon, 04 Feb 2013 21:04:39 +0100,
Matthias Klose <doko at ubuntu.com> a écrit :
> So what I do understand, build-related issues like an arm64 or
> mingw32 port are ok for 2.7, if they are stable on the trunk, and
> communicated on python-dev?

Making Python build on a new platform is, AFAICT, considered a new
feature, not a bugfix. For example, we support new MSVC versions in the
main development branch, not in bugfix branches.

>  - there were way too may regressions checked in on at least the 2.7
>    branch.  Is it just our vcs merge model that we first have to
> check in on the branches, and then merge to the trunk? Afaics python
> is the only project to have such an approach. Others have trunk
> first, maybe with immediate backport, maybe with later backport.

I don't think this has anything to do with the merge model. Regressions
can always happen for things that are not unit-tested.
Also, looking at the regressions you listed in another message, none of
them appeared serious enough.

Regards

Antoine.