[Python-Dev] BDFL delegation for PEP 426 (PyPI metadata 1.3)

Brian Curtin brian at python.org
Sun Feb 3 21:07:21 CET 2013

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 2:00 PM, Simon Cross
<hodgestar+pythondev at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 9:42 PM, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Bento is the only available packaging tool to heap praise onto and it is
>> impressive.
>
> If Bento is cool, is there some way we can help it gain more traction
> in the Python ecosystem? Not necessarily by incorporating it into
> stdlib, but perhaps by officially sanctioning it in other ways
> (documentation, PyPI, perhaps getting some helpful hooks / tweaks to
> Python itself)?
>
> I don't know the answer to these questions, but if there is a good
> solution out there, it would be cool to throw our community weight
> behind it.

I don't think we, as in python-dev, should do this. If people want to
start telling others to use bento on their own, that's fine. For the
core team to get behind it would probably require a lot of work to
safely stamp it as "the new way...that we don't actually have anything
to do with"

If python-dev officially says "hey, use bento", then it has all sorts
of problems and ends up dying in 6 months, we will look like idiots.