[Python-Dev] Running the unit test as root/administrator

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Dec 5 16:45:43 CET 2013

Am 05.12.13 16:31, schrieb Chris Angelico:
>> Ah. I don't think we have one. If somebody would want to donate one, I
>> suggest to run it in a VM, to reduce the (valid) security concerns that
>> Guido has voiced. If a snapshot of the VM is made, it would be easy to
>> restore in case a commit performs serious damage.
>
> Are we worried about malicious or accidental damage, here?

Accidental damage is a serious risk, IMO. Malicious damage is a risk
for the paranoid: it might be that an SSH key gets stolen, and is then
used to commit a trojan. Of course, that would affect all build slaves
(but less so if they run in a restricted account), and we would disable
the key as soon as we notice, but some damage might have happened.

> I might be able to offer a buildbot VM, though I don't know what the
> requirements are.

The machine should be up "most of the time", including internet
connectivity. A fixed IP address is no requirement (although I'm
unsure how resilient the slaves are when the IP changes). The
admin (i.e. you) needs to set up the box initially, and then care
for it in case of problems; a response time of a few days for
most of the year would be appreciated (although we can also deal
with operators that leave for longer periods of time - we just
disable the slave then, and reenable it when the admin brings
it back up). The commitment should be for a "long" period, i.e.
a few years.

Regards,
Martin