[Python-Dev] PEP 8 modernisation

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Aug 1 16:31:18 CEST 2013

On 01/08/13 22:44, Nick Coghlan wrote:

> 4. Lines up to 99 characters are now permitted (but 79 is still the
> preferred limit)

Coincidentally, there was a discussion about line length on python-list over the last couple of days. I think the two most relevant comments are by Skip Montanaro:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2013-July/652977.html
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2013-July/653046.html

If I may be permitted to paraphrase:

- publishers and printers have been dealing with readability of text for an awfully long time, and they pretty much all use a de facto standard of 70-80 characters per line;

- most lines of code are short, stretching the max out to 100 characters when most lines are around 60 just ends up wasting screen real estate if your editor window is wide enough to deal with the max.

To that last point, I add: it's even worse if you keep the editor relatively narrow, since now you have a few lines that require horizontal scrolling, which is awful, or line-wrapping, neither of which are palatable.

--
Steven