[Python-Dev] Purpose of files in $(DESTDIR)$(LIBPL)

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Mon Apr 29 23:50:55 CEST 2013

In article <1100748677.3355198.1367227656892.JavaMail.root at redhat.com>,
 Bohuslav Kabrda <bkabrda at redhat.com> wrote:
> I'd like to ask about the purpose of files in $(DESTDIR)$(LIBPL) [1] - what
> is the reason to keep them/what are they useful for?
> I'm currently "taking over" Python packaging in Fedora and I'd like to know
> if these have some meaning for a distro-packaged Python (Dave Malcolm is not
> sure about them ;)).

As is noted a bit further up in Makefile.pre.in:

  1178 # Install the library and miscellaneous stuff needed for
extending/embedding
  1179 # This goes into $(exec_prefix)
  1180 LIBPL=     $(LIBDEST)/config-$(LDVERSION)

As I understand it, LIBPL is the directory that contains the development
files needed for embedding Python in C, things like the static and
shared libpythox.x and the Makefile itself.  They are intended to be
referenced through the pythonx.y-config command.  For example, on
Debian,  LIBPL is /usr/lib/python2.7/config.

$ python2.7-config --ldflags
-L/usr/lib/python2.7/config -lpthread -ldl -lutil -lm -lpython2.7
-Xlinker -export-dynamic

The usage is documented here:

http://docs.python.org/dev/extending/embedding.html#compiling-and-linking
-under-unix-like-systems