[Python-Dev] PEP 435 -- Adding an Enum type to the Python standard library

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Sat Apr 27 18:11:14 CEST 2013

> I am still optimistic that we can come up with a rule that
> works well enough in practice (and the Zen rule to which I was
> referring was, of course, "practicality beats purity").

The rule I liked best is "ignore callables, descriptors, and anything
with leading & trailing double underscores". Personally I'd modify that
to simply "anything with two leading underscores" so you can have
private variables.  It seems Pythonic to me in that classes already
treat all those things special.  And if you want enums of any of those
things you can instantiate & insert them by hand after the class definition.

Does that fail in an important way?

//arry/