[Python-Dev] PEP 435 -- Adding an Enum type to the Python standard library

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 04:49:40 CEST 2013

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> If the above syntax won't work, that isinstance() outcome isn't really
> important. :-(
>
> Can't we do some kind of callable check? There may be some weird
> decorators that won't work, but they aren't likely to be useful in
> this context.

Yeah, it may not be as tricky as I feared: adding "not
callable(attr_val)" to the conditions for deciding whether or not to
convert a class attribute to an instance of the enum would likely
suffice to address the method problem.

You couldn't create an enum of callables, but that would be a
seriously weird thing to do anyway....

Cheers,
Nick.