[Python-Dev] Why can't I encode/decode base64 without importing a module?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 23:37:29 CEST 2013

On 24 Apr 2013 01:25, "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal at egenix.com> wrote:

> >> Except for rot13. :-)
> >
> > The fact that you can do this instead *is* a bit odd. ;)
> >
> > from codecs import getencoder
> > encoder = getencoder('rot-13')
> > r13 = encoder('hello world')[0]
>
> Just as reminder: we have the general purpose
> encode()/decode() functions in the codecs module:
>
> import codecs
> r13 = codecs.encode('hello world', 'rot-13')
>
> These interface directly to the codec interfaces, without
> enforcing type restrictions. The codec defines the supported
> input and output types.

If we already have those, why aren't they documented? If they exist, they
should be the first thing in the codecs module docs and the porting guide
should list them as the replacement for the method versions when using
encodings that aren't directly related to the text model, or when the input
buffer for decoding isn't a bytes or bytearray object.

Regards,
Nick.

http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/ncoghlan%40gmail.com