[Python-Dev] Why can't I encode/decode base64 without importing a module?

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 13:38:47 CEST 2013

Hi,

Your question is discussed since 4 years in the following issue:
http://bugs.python.org/issue7475

The last proposition is to add transform() and untransform() methods
to bytes and str types. But nobody implemented the idea. If I remember
correctly, the missing point is how to define which types are
supported by a codec (ex: only bytes for bz2 codec, bytes and str for
rot13).

Victor