[Python-Dev] The end of 2.7

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Sun Apr 7 03:23:29 CEST 2013

In article
<CAPZV6o-r_Z1MR+Kjn8jB5ZVXmvUexsaLtUhHjboJ_weKvu9Z3g at mail.gmail.com>,
 Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org> wrote:
> 2013/4/6 Gregory P. Smith <greg at krypto.org>:
> What I like about 6 months is that its short enough, so we don't have
> feel bad about not taking a certain change; it can just be pushed to
> the next no-too-far-away release. A year is quite a while to wait for
> a fix to be released. It's also a nice timeframe for some
> distributions (looking at you, Ubuntu).

+1 to both a 6-month release interval and to soon announcing a date for
the last maintenance release that is no later than 2015.  As Georg
points out, though, there undoubtedly will be pushback on that so we
should make sure we have a good story for what happens after that date
and we start communicating it in plenty of time.   An important of that
is emphasizing what will be available on Python 3.x by then and figuring
out what to do about any important missing pieces, e.g. key third-party
components not yet ported.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org