[Python-Dev] Stdlib and timezones, again

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 23:39:59 CEST 2012

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 11:28 PM, Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka at gmail.com>wrote:

> Why not use the system data which are updated by the OS? I know that
> Windows also changes the clock for local DST.

The Windows timezone information does not include any historical
information, as it's designed primarily to keep your computers clock
correctly, not to convert date times between different timezones. As a
result using to to convert data in the past can give incorrect information.
We therefore want to consistently use the tz database.

//Lennart