[Python-Dev] Stdlib and timezones, again

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 22:56:34 CEST 2012

On Sep 30, 2012 10:34 PM, "Guido van Rossum" <guido at python.org> wrote:

>> When people use pytz they have to reinstall pytz too if thet want to
benefit from the updates. (Or depend on automated updates via some vendor
package management system.) If we can ensure that with pytz in the stdlib,
updates to the Olson database can be installed just as easily as before
(probably through some new custom mechanism, as a new Python bugfix release
is too heavy-handed), I see no problem with adopting pytz into the stdlib.

The mechanism would be exactly the same, but a different modulename.

I´ll go forward and make a PEP on this soonish.