[Python-Dev] Stdlib and timezones, again

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Sun Sep 30 20:18:26 CEST 2012

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 8:33 AM, Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org>wrote:

> 2012/9/30 Xavier Morel <python-dev at masklinn.net>:
> > But at worst, an outdated unicode database will be missing data right?
> >
> > Doesn't an outdated timezone db have the risk of returning *incorrect*
> data?
>
> Unicode updates also include corrections; however, it seems there are
> not significant enough or about obscure enough scripts that not many
> notice. :)

We never hear anyone complain because the corrections are not for English
or other "western" languages that the majority of us speak.  ;)

Regardless, I think including a version of the database on windows releases
makes sense.  Update it on a best effort basis before each .x minor
release.  The documentation can make it clear that it is a changing
database how to use an updated version with your application.

One additional thing I'd like to see: Don't let the successful importing of
a 'pytzdata' module be the only way to get an updated tz database.  Create
an API for someone to supply one themselves at runtime that is cleaner than
shoving something into sys.modules['pytzdata'].  And define in which order
they'll be used:

priority:
  1) api call supplying tz data to the process.
  2) pytzdata module if it exists
  3) tz data from the underlying operating system
  4) error.

-gps

PS Unicode data is political as well, just less politically active than
stupid time zones and "savings" times.