[Python-Dev] buildbot with -O

Trent Nelson trent at snakebite.org
Thu Sep 27 02:09:30 CEST 2012

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 04:13:42PM -0700, Benjamin Peterson wrote:
> 2012/9/26 Maciej Fijalkowski <fijall at gmail.com>:
> > On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 1:00 AM, Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org> wrote:
> >> In light of issue #16046, I think it would be helpful to have a
> >> buildbot running the testsuite with -O enabled.
> >
> > How about deprecating -O completely instead? It does not seem to give
> > any speedups and definitely gives headaches.
>
> I'm all for that, but I'd rather have it tested in the meantime.

    You can use Snakebite for this sort of stuff.  Grab a slave ID off
    Antoine, then log in to whatever slave you want and set up a new
    instance (say, ~/buildslave-with-O).  (Look at existing slave
    details in ~/buildslave/buildbot.tac for hints on password etc.)

    And as a general side bar: all committers automatically have full
    access to Snakebite.  You don't need to register keys* or sign up or
    anything.  I've tried to make it as painless as possible to connect
    to:
        % cd ~
        % svn co http://svn.snakebite.net/.snakebite
        % cd .snakebite
        % sh snakebite.subr

            [*]: just to clarify: Snakebite's already been primed
                 with whatever ssh key you use to commit to hg.

    From then on, just run ~/.snakebite/sb to get access to the host
    menu.  That will work out of the box for all committers.  (Next set
    of enhancements will focus on linking a local source directory (on
    your laptop/desktop) to Snakebite and spinning up a buildbot master
    + slaves on demand, so you won't even have to log in and faff around
    with priming a build environment like you do now.  (I, uh, sort of
    need to do a little funding/donation drive before then though, which
    is what I'm currently organizing.))

        Trent.