[Python-Dev] TypeError: f() missing 1 required positional argument: 'x'

Chris Jerdonek chris.jerdonek at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 19:18:41 CEST 2012

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 8:52 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 7:12 AM, Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org> wrote:
>> I tried to define the error messages in terms of the callee's
>> signature. I call the formals that are not variadic, keyword variadic,
>> or keyword-only, positional. For example, in
>
> Maybe this is also a good time to start distinguishing between
> arguments (what you pass, call syntax) and parameters (what the
> function receives, function definition syntax)?

The glossary is one place to start making this distinction.  It
currently has entries for "argument," "positional argument," and
"keyword argument" that could perhaps use a review from this
discussion.  For example:

http://docs.python.org/dev/glossary.html#term-positional-argument

The entries currently blur the distinction between the calling and
definition perspectives.  Ideally, the glossary definitions of these
terms would match and be consistent with their usage in error
messages.

--Chris