[Python-Dev] packaging location ?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 14:53:06 CEST 2012

On 14 September 2012 16:12, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I have set up a BitBucket repo called distlib, at
>
> https://bitbucket.org/vinay.sajip/distlib/
>
> This has the following bits of distutils2 / packaging, updated to run on 2.x and
> 3.x with a single codebase, and including tests (though not docs, yet):
>
> version.py - version specifiers as per PEP 386
> metadata.py - metadata as per PEPs 345, 314 and 241
> markers.py - environment markers as per PEP 345
> database.py - installed distributions as per PEP 376
> depgraph.py - distribution dependency graph logic
> glob.py - globbing functionality

A nice addition would be an API for managing the RECORD file. I would
imagine functions to read/write the file (hiding the details of how to
open the CSV file correctly in a cross-platform manner), functions to
produce a list of the files installed for a distribution, and
functions to validate (and maybe write) the hashes.

If this would be useful, I'd be willing to write the code, although my
API design skills aren't the best, so some advice on how the API
should look would be nice :-)

Paul