[Python-Dev] creating Lib/tests/cmath_testcases.txt for 64 bit complex numbers (text)

Matti Picus matti.picus at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 22:06:26 CEST 2012

(I apologize for posting HTML mail. Retrying.)
Hi. I am implementing complex numbers for pypy's version of numpy.

Numpy has both 128 bit (based on 64 bit floats) and 64 bit (based on 32
bit floats) complex numbers, where afaict cmath uses strictly 128 bit
complex numbers. I made sure the 128 bit numpy complex numbers in pypy
pass the tests in Lib/tests/cmath_testcases.txt.
I would like to generate a similar file to cmath_testcases.txt for 64
bit complex numbers. I found the earliest commit of the file at
http://hg.python.org/cpython/file/b69f443ef480/Lib/test/cmath_testcases.txt

Can the authors of the original file help me reconstruct the scripts or
programs used to generate it, and reformulate them for 32 bit floats?
Since there are more than 2000 cases, and many need rewriting, I prefer
an automated method to error-prone hand coding.

By the way, the level of testing is most impressive.

Thanks for any help or tips,
Matti Picus