[Python-Dev] Bumping autoconf from 2.68 to 2.69

Charles-François Natali neologix at free.fr
Tue Oct 16 11:17:35 CEST 2012

> It should be sufficient to install autoconf-x.y into /home/user/bin or
> something similar. Installing autoconf from source really takes about
> 3 minutes.

Well, maybe, maybe not.
autoconf depends on a least m4 and Perl, and you may very well have a
compatibility issue here.
That's why most distributions have package managers, and in 2012 we're
past the './configure && make && make install".

> It doesn't matter which OS or Mercurial version a developer uses as
> they don't implicitly affect any versioned resources; autoconf does.

If you're worried about the noise in diff, it's never been a problem
at least to me (just don't post a configure diff for review, the
configure.ac is enough).

If you're worried about runtime compatibility, then autoconf is not
your only worry. Proper build also depends on the target shell, target
toolchain (gcc, libc, etc).