[Python-Dev] Proposed schedule for Python 3.4

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Oct 3 21:40:55 CEST 2012

On 10/3/2012 12:02 PM, Larry Hastings wrote:

> What it really comes down to: I'm a first-time RM, and I lack the
> courage/wisdom to overrule what appears to be a reasonable status quo.
> I feel I don't have to defend the decision to maintain the status quo; I
> feel instead you have to make a case for changing it. So far all I
> recall seeing from you are assertions.  I'd like to see some harder data.
>

> On 10/03/2012 05:28 PM, Brian Curtin wrote:
>> The webstats in April 2012 show 5628 downloads of 3.3a1 and 4946
>> downloads of 3.3a2 Windows installers.

I am pretty sure I downloaded both, as well as most of the subsequent
releases. Our alpha releases are as stable as the existing maintenance
release, except for bugs in new features and possible interactions. In
return, one gets access to the new features. We could promote the early
releases a bit more than we do.

Building a full interpreter (including tkinter and other modules) on
Windows is a challenge. Installing is another challenge yet. I installed
.a1 and onwards for everyday use and so I could test IDLE patches on
installed 3.3. The sooner 3.4.0a1 is released, the sooner I will be able
to do the same for 3.4. Before that, I will have to hold off pushing
idle patches from 3.3 to default or hope that all is well and wait until
.a1 is out to find out for sure. I suppose you would call this
integration testing for IDLE (and underneath that, tkinter) on Windows.

> We simply don't have a fully-automated process to produce installers for
> all platforms.  In fact, I fear we don't have a fully-automated process
> to produce installers for /any/ platforms.

I really wish there were for Windows. If an installer were available
monthly, I would use it.

--
Terry Jan Reedy