[Python-Dev] Stdlib and timezones, again

Zachary Ware zachary.ware at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 17:16:16 CEST 2012

On Oct 1, 2012 10:06 AM, "Antoine Pitrou" <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 09:52:09 -0500
> Zachary Ware <zachary.ware+pydev at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > My thought was that it's better to have *something* always available,
> > that has a decent chance of being "good enough" in a lot of cases (and
> > if it's good enough for you, just silence the warning), than to
> > noisily fail because we can't provide a perfect solution due to
> > political idiocy.  Or worse, to *silently* be wrong because someone
> > assumed we had provided a perfect solution without looking too hard.
>
> We can, and should, mention potential pitfalls in the documentation.

With large red text and blink tags :-P

> But I don't think a warning is warranted, anymore than for other known
> issues (there are many of them at http://bugs.python.org/ :-)).

Just curious (and a bit off topic), what exactly does warrant a warning in
Python? I've been messing around with it for a couple years (since shortly
before 3.1, and always on 3.x) and I'm pretty sure I have yet to see a
warning for anything. Which I suppose could be counted as a good thing...