[Python-Dev] logging and rotation

Matthias Bernt MatatTHC at gmx.de
Sun Nov 25 13:14:11 CET 2012

Dear mailing list,

I'm using the logging module and write my log messages via the FileHandler.
I just realized that using an external log rotation mechanism does not
work. That is, new messages are not added to the file after
rotation.

In my opinion external log rotate mechanisms should work with the standard
file handler.

websearch pointed me to TimedRotatingFileHandler . But this only seems like
a workaround. For instance I would like to get my log file mailed once a
week. But it seems difficult to sync the cron job doing this and the
logging-rotation mechanism.

I think TimedRotatingFileHandler is important, e.g. for windows users. But
for *nux users this seems to be unnecessary.

Just want to gather some opinions before filing a bug.

Regards,
Matthias