[Python-Dev] Keyword meanings [was: Accept just PEP-0426]

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Nov 21 08:54:17 CET 2012

PJ Eby writes:
 > On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 12:00 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org>wrote:

 > > What I care about is when I'm using Gorgon, and there's something
 > > "better" (or worse, "correct") to use in my application.
 >
 > Hence my suggestion for an Obsoleted-By field, in which Gorgon would be
 > able to suggest alternatives.

My bad, my precise intention was to follow up on your idea (which,
credit where credit is due, I had *not* hit upon independently).  I
should have made that clear.

(I really shouldn't be answering English email at a Japanese-speaking
conference, my brain thinks it knows what it's doing but shirazuni 日
本文化が染み込む....)

 > > It might be a good idea to have a just-like-Amazon
 > >
 > >     While-This-Package-Is-Great-You-Might-Also-Consider:
 > >
 > > field.
 >
 > Yeah, that's basically what Obsoleted-By is for.

Well, Obsoleted-By is pretty strong language for suggesting possible
alternatives.  But I suspect that few projects would really want to be
suggesting competitors' products *or* their own oldie-but-still-goodie
that they'd really like to obsolete ASAP (put an Obsoleted-By line in
every Python 2 distribution, anyone? :-)