[Python-Dev] Accept just PEP-0426

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 04:01:48 CET 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 9:44 PM, PJ Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 5:01 PM, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0314/ says:
>>
>>       The most common use of this field will be in case a package name
>>       changes, e.g. Gorgon 2.3 gets subsumed into Torqued Python 1.0.
>>       When you install Torqued Python, the Gorgon package should be
>>       removed.
>>
>>       Example:
>>
>>           Obsoletes: Gorgon
>>

>> They mean pretty much what the same words mean in RPM and do not need
>> further bikeshedding.
>>

> The problem is that the above *makes no sense*.  "Torqued Python" and
> "Gorgon" are veiled pseudonyms for Twisted and Medusa....  and Twisted is
> not actually a plug-and-play substitute for Medusa, AFAIK.
>
> Can anybody suggest an *actual* use case for "Obsoletes", and explain how
> it is supposed to work in software?  The last time this discussion came up,
> nobody had any use cases that stood up to the "how's that actually going to
> work and/or help?" test.  Here's a post of mine summarizing this and
> related points in the previous thread:

Again I didn't write any of this.

Someone mentioned ZODB + transaction. The PEP should have used the word
"merged" instead of "bundled". When two packages become one, and the
redundant package is no longer being developed, Provides-Dist can be used.

I re-named a package once just because I did not like the name. I used
"Obsoletes" for that. It is documentation.