[Python-Dev] Accept just PEP-0426

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 01:12:08 CET 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 06:43:32PM -0500, Daniel Holth wrote:
> No. We trust the packages we install, including the way they decide to use
> the metadata. A bad package could delete all our files or cause dependency
> resolution to fail. Mostly they won't.

Agreed.  And this is closer to the way that distributions' tools have to
operate than they'd want to :-(  Within the distribution we like to pretend
that we only need to care about the packages that we generate.  But we also
know that whether or not we support it, ordinary users will install pacakges
from outside of our walls.  That means that the packaging tools that we
create will need to deal with things that we might not condone within our
"presumed authority".

We trust that people are going to do more or less the right thing with
the tools we offer.  Once in a while they don't but by and large they do.

-Toshio