[Python-Dev] Accept just PEP-0426

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 20 17:49:56 CET 2012

Daniel Holth <dholth <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Edit the following text:

Okay, here is a possible version:
---------------------------------
Provides-Dist (multiple use)

Each entry contains a string naming a requirement that is satisfied by
installing this distribution.  The entry must consist of a name and version.

This name of the project identified in the ``Name`` field is implicitly
considered as provided, with the version specified in the ``Version`` field.

The use of multiple names in this field *must not* be used for bundling
distributions together. It is intended for use when projects are forked and
merged over time, while providing essentially the same function. Multiple
names reflect the evolution of the project over time and not the bringing
together of different packages, already distributed elsewhere, in a bundle.

Thus, the 'distribute' distribution, a fork of setuptools, could say that it
``Provides-Dist`` a particular version of setuptools, to prevent setuptools
from being downloaded and installed when distribute is already installed.

If, over time, distribute evolved into a new package called 'distribute2' (for
argument's sake), then that could say that it ``Provides-Dist`` a specific
version of distribute and a specific version of setuptools.
-----------------------------------

Some comments on the above: I'm not entirely comfortable with a Provides-Dist
entry which does not specify a version, since it does not allow to you to test
that a requirement is actually met. So, I've removed the "optional"
qualification from the version.

Also: what happens when a requirement is for setuptools (>= X.Y), but the
distribute fork hasn't kept pace, and so only supports setuptools at a lower
version than X.Y? I take it we're entirely comfortable with installing
setuptools X.Y in that case? How would you ensure the right setuptools is
always loaded, since presumably both are on sys.path?

Regards,

Vinay Sajip