[Python-Dev] Generally boared by installation (Re: Setting project home path the best way)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 12:24:49 CET 2012

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 8:54 PM, Kristján Valur Jónsson <
kristjan at ccpgames.com> wrote:

> I don't have a well formed solution in mind, but I would see it desirable
> to have a way for someone to release his package with all its dependencies
> as a self-contained and isolated unit.  E.g. if package foo.py relies on
> functionality from version 1.7 of bar.py, then that functionality could be
> bottled up for foo´s exclusive usage.
> Another package, baz.py, could then also make use of bar, but version 1.8.
>  The two bar versions would be isolated.
>
> Perhaps this is just a pipedream.  Even unpossible.  But it doesn't harm
> to try to think about better ways to do things.

Easily bundling dependencies is a key principle behind the ability to
execute directories and zipfiles that contain a top level __main__.py file
that was added back in 2.6 (although the zipfile version doesn't play
nicely with extension modules).

Cheers,
Nick.