[Python-Dev] need reviewers for #16475 and #16487

Kristján Valur Jónsson kristjan at ccpgames.com
Sat Nov 17 22:48:03 CET 2012

Hello there.
I'd like to have some pair of eyes on a couple of patches i´ve submitted.

http://bugs.python.org/issue16475
This fixes a regression in marshal between 2.x and 3.x, reinstating string reuse and internment support.  In addition, it generalizes string reuse to all objects, allowing for data optimizations to be made on code objects before marshaling.  This straighforward extension considerably enhances the utility of the marshal module as a low-cost data serialization tool.

http://bugs.python.org/issue16487
This allows ssl contexts to be initialized with certificates from memory, rather than having to rely on the openssl performing its own file IO to read them.   This allows clients and servers that have their certificates deployed e.g. from a db or verbatim in a module, to use ssl without having to resort to temporary disk files and physical IO.

Both of these patches are bourne out of work performed at CCP.  The former comes from work on marshal in order to support our own code object optimizer, which helps save memory on the PS3.  The second comes from us supporting isolated embedded python servers and clients and not wanting to complicate things with unnecessary temporary files for storing credidentials that are obtained from elsewhere.

Both were, of course, 2.7 modifications, that I have now ported to 3.4 for the benefit of the python community.