[Python-Dev] Relatwd: py3 import strategy

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Sun Nov 11 22:59:34 CET 2012

Hi Eric,

On 11.11.12 22:45, Eric Snow wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 1:53 PM, Christian Tismer
> <tismer at stackless.com <mailto:tismer at stackless.com>> wrote:
>
>     Once again on this:
>
>     With the introduction of module folders
>     without __init__, it has become even harder to deduce a sensible
>     project root
>     Dir without relying on a global settings file. Abd as you probably
>     agree, such files are a bad idea. Any global is bad, also in the
>     file system.
>
>     Guido, this is another reason why I dislike the absence of __init__. :
>
>     Rhere is no longer an indicator that pretty clearly defines the
>     root of my module heirarchy.
>

>  This came up during the discussions leading up to PEP 420,
> particularly regarding the impact on PEP 395.  My thoughts at the time
> on addressing the problem:
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/import-sig/2012-March/000438.html

I do not quite understand what you want to propose:

"""

* there is no __init__.py in the current directory (in the case where
there was one adjacent to the original module)
* current directory is on sys.path
* setup.py is in the current directory

"""

Are you saying that this is a way for me to get at the project root?
And can this be done with a one-liner, or would I need a module for that,
where the cat would bite its tail, because that module would not be found,
easily?

Please tell me in a simpler way what you think  ;-)

ciao - Chris

phone +49 173 24 18 776  fax +49 (30) 700143-0023