[Python-Dev] problems building python2.7

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Fri Nov 9 23:32:18 CET 2012

In article <509D702E.10605 at hastings.org>,
 Larry Hastings <larry at hastings.org> wrote:
> On 11/09/2012 09:54 AM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
> > On 9 Nov, 2012, at 11:57, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> >> Hah! Should http://docs.python.org/devguide/ be updated to reflect this or
> >> does this only affect Mac OS? (or should we correct the build so it
> >> doesn't spit out a .exe?)
> > How else should it be named, given that the default filesystem on OSX
> > machines is not case sensitive. The binary cannot be named "python" because
> > that clashes with the directory named "Python" in the source and build
> > tres.
>
> Have we considered renaming the directory instead?

That's another solution.  Another is to use the optional case-sensitive
variant of HFS+ on OS X.  But, really, this is a very minor one-time
issue facing people doing development on Python itself.  Normal users or
Python don't run iit from a source directory, they run it from an
installed location (make install) and then there is no such problem.
It's not worth changing at this point.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org